Coedwig

Coedwig is a Learning Support Centre for pupils from across the Local Authority with additional Social, Emotional and Behavioural needs. (SEBD) 

Coedwig is housed in our lower school building and encompasses 2 specialist classrooms, a creative room, communal area, Sensory room, ‘chill out’ spaces and an outdoor play area.  

We offer an alternative curriculum which develops pupils’ Executive Functions (mental skills that include working memory, flexible thinking, and self-control), Key Skills (Literacy, Numeracy & digital competency) and Life Skills (cooking, staying safe, using money etc) 

Pupils have access to the following interventions: – 

• Emotional Literacy Support (ELSA) 
  • Relationship based play (RBP) 
  • Sensory Circuits 
  • Speech & Language Link
  • Lego Therapy 
  • Motional

Staff work closely with, and have access to support from: – 

• School-based Play Therapist  
  • Occupational Therapy Team
  • Well-being Team
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • ASD advisory team
  • Educational Psychologist 

Pupils have weekly swimming lessons, cycling sessions and cookery classes. 

We use Read, Write Inc and Reading Eggs to develop Literacy skills and White Rose Maths to develop Numeracy skills. 

Pupils have lots of opportunities for outside learning. 

Cooking Sessions

Coedwig Staff

Lead and ALNCO – Miss Williams

Coedwig 1 Teacher – Miss Thomas

Coedwig 2 Teacher – Miss Challenger

Hello there, I’m the Coedwig 1 class teacher. I have been teaching for 5 years and have experience working with pupils in both Key Stage 2 and the Foundation Phase. Prior to working in Crynallt Primary, I taught years 3 and 4 at Oystermouth Primary in Swansea but chose to transition into working in Coedwig, as I wanted to further my development in supporting pupils who have additional needs. I have been teaching in Coedwig since Feburary 2022 and I love working with our pupils as well as our excellent team of staff. In my spare time I enjoy performing in amateur theatre productions as well as volunteering for the Rising Stars Youth theatre group, who support young people with additional needs to enjoy an inclusive drama club. 

I grew up in the Neath Valleys and attended University of Wales Trinity Saint David where I qualified as a teacher in 2021. After spending some time working with Year 6 pupils in Crynallt, who required more teacher intervention in their learning and providing in-house cover in a range of classes, I made the move to Coedwig. I have always wanted to work with pupils with additional learning needs and have invested time in professional development to ensure I have the skills to best support pupils in this environment. I am currently completing a diploma in Trauma Informed Practice. I love working in the SEBD provision and building positive relationships with the pupils. I have found that my fun but firm approach to teaching has helped. I work alongside a fantastic and very supportive team and together we aim to provide the best learning environment for all pupils. 

Both classes have Key Workers and Learning Support staff